I was curious about the reason of dividing sandwiches into two different sexes, i.e. Croque Madame & Croque Monsieur. So I googled about it and found that the French thought the sunny side up egg resembles women’s breasts, hence the feminine title (,,ﾟДﾟ)
All of a sudden, this dish seems so sexy lol. The French perspective on art and cuisine is definitely bold and unique, and I just love it.
This gooey yumminess is traditionally made with butter, ham, eggs, sliced Gruyère cheese and French bread. This quick-and-simple morning treat provides all the energy you need for rest of the day. (≧∀≦)ゞ
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 slices French bread (or any other slightly dried bread you like)
- 2 slices Gruyere/Swiss cheese
- 2 slices Ham
- 1-2 tbsp Mayo
- 1 Egg
- Salt & Pepper & Herbs
- Preheat oven to about 200 degrees C.
- Butter 1 side of each bread.
- Put the bread slices into a large skillet, buttered side down. Fry on medium-high heat.
- Cover one piece of bread with 1 slice of cheese, 2 slices ham. Top it with the other slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Cook until bottom is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 3-4 mins.
- Place the sandwich on an oven-safe plate
- Spread a thin layer of mayo on the sandwich, then place a slice of cheese on top.
- Grill the sandwich in oven until the cheese melted, about 1-2 mins
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Fry each egg sunny side up.
- Place the fried egg on top of the sandwich. Season with herbs, salt and pepper. Enjoy the sandwich immediately!
- To make CROQUE MONSIEUR and to cut down calories intake (｡ŏ_ŏ) simply skip step 9 & 10.
- You can also replace butter with olive oil.